While the Khadjenoury's are not all that interesting to the rest of the world or as Sia's cousin Parsia stated, "Oh great, all we need is another democratic blog." I am excited about this written documentary of the Khadjenoury's in 2007.
The Passing of a Dear Friend
Last week was a hard week. We learned of the passing of a dear friend, Helen Singer. Helen's daughter Enid Schwartz was a friend from the wonderful Sierra Vista Jewish Community who opened their hearts to our little multicultural family some 9 years ago. When we left Sierra Vista for our move North back to SLC, I had asked Enid for ideas on a place for Siamak to stay when he was in SV. Enid suggested Siamak stay with her mother, Helen. Helen and Sia stayed up late into the night talking and learning from each other during every stay. A year ago Siamak was still in Arizona for extended periods. We were both lonely and reeling from the loss of our stolen stuff. Siamak used to tell me that it was from his long talks with Helen that he knew he had to spend more time in SLC and be with his family. Helen was such a dear friend and I know Siamak was honored to have been a part of her life and when Enid called last week with the sad news of Helen's passing - I felt comfort in knowing how lucky Siamak and I were to have known such a lovely and remarkable woman. One more thing everyone should know about Helen - she was a savvy savvy techie. Helen was online chatting nightly - she was quite something and a role model for anyone who thinks technology is for a younger generation - Helen passed away 6 weeks before her 90th birthday.
Jewish Geography:
For those of you reading this who know what I am talking about - Read on...- for the rest of you, skip this next part because it wont' make much sense.
When I arrived in the little Military/Border town of Sierra Vista in August of 1998 -I needed to find a place for Rosh Hoshanna. I checked out the little tiny phone book and found Temple Hamid Bar in Sierra Vista and called the President Jeff Haas. As we began our conversation I mentioned I was from Salt Lake City - Jeff had grown up in Tucson (part of Mountain region BBYO) and had a dear friend from AZA in SLC - Ray Pedderson. Teary I mentioned that Ray had been the advisor when I was in BBYO and then I told him of Ray's passing. The Haas's welcomed us for Rosh Hoshannah that year and introduced us to one of the loveliest, warmest and most welcoming Jewish Communities I have ever encountered. Along with Jeff Haas running this little temple was Sam Caron - who grew up in Albuquerque and he and his wife knew my mom and that whole NM Jewish crowd as well.
-Jewish Geography.
No comments:
Post a Comment