Monday, August 20, 2007

Mitzvot

Definition:In Judaism, mitzvah has been used to refer to any ritual, religious or ethical obligation to follow God's will. Literally translated, a mitzvah is a commandment. The Torah contains at least 613 individual commandments. In more recent times, a mitzvah has also been used to mean any good deed. I think it is a nice word to describe any action that makes you feel good. Today was filled with numerous Mitzvot.
Mitzvah #1: Marlo called the house numerous times this morning to find out about the health status of Sonia. When she called, Marlo said Lynn and Bruce were at the firm party the night before for only a few minutes and then they had to leave because Sonia was very ill. Marlo said she had been calling Bruce all morning but there was no answer (I knew they must have been golfing). I was so touched by Marlo's concern for her Aunt that as I explained the phone call to Sia, I cried.
Then I called the facility to see how Sonia was doing.
Miztvah #2: The nurse who answered the phone did not hesitate, did not put me on hold, did not make my inquiry difficult in any way...she had details on my grandmother's situation that were up to the minute and incredibly informative.

Mitzvah #3 and then some: I called Marlo back and asked if she would like us to pick her up to join us for a visit with Sonia.

Miztvot Continued: After a wonderful visit with Sonia we headed to Malka's to connect with my mom who purchased several tickets to a NCJW concert/fundraiser. Lovely afternoon at Libby Gardner Hall listening to the incredible voices and piano accompaniment of (I will add their names when I find the program)...they sang songs from Jewish liturgy, arias including Carmen and some beautiful renditions of Jewish music on Broadway. Marlo and Setareh were bored out of their gourds but I think some day they will be appreciative of little exposure to culture and all the Mitzvot that occured in one afternoon.

No comments: