Saturday, June 30, 2007

SLC Scene Found

In my Arts Fest post I commented on how I remembered summer in SLC - Attending the Arts Festival and the feeling of a "scene" that it was "the" event. I know why I didn't feel that this year. The "scene" is at the Farmers Market at Pioneer Park on Saturday summer mornings .

Angie convinced me to leave quiet suburbia Sandy this morning and head downtown. Reluctantly, (I have to admit - I only wanted to see Angie) I woke up the kids early and piled us into the car to meet Angie at the park. WOW - this was not the same Farmers Market of a decade ago -with only 5 farm vendors and 2 0r 3 artists. The whole park packed with people and the perimeter full of vendors. I found what I missed at the Arts Festival last weekend. I found local artists, food and entertainment that was affordable, fresh and very very fun. Can't wait to take Sia when he gets back!

Guess I missed this article last summer -

Living
Dowtown Farmer's Market
Saturday's Hot Spot

Published Monday, June 19, 2006 by Vanessa Chang
Forget sleeping in or heading for Starbucks. The coolest place to be on a Saturday morning is the corner of 300 West and 300 South in downtown Salt Lake City. It’s a piece of urban Wasatch temporarily inhabited by an eclectic bunch—stroller-pushing moms sipping lattes, Birkenstock-clad gardeners strolling about, and early-bird foodies with grocery lists as tall as the heirloom-tomato plants they find for sale. They all have one thing in common—they come in search of good local food. And when they converge in Pioneer Park, not only do they have access to the freshest local bounty of tomatoes, baby greens, and sweet peaches, they also get to meet the folks who harvested it. Early risers and zealous chefs grab the best pickings and deals when the market opens at 8 a.m. But there’s still plenty of product to peruse when the market shuts down at 1 p.m. Art-lovers and gardeners have a place here, too. The Arts & Crafts market sits just behind the farm stands and many farmers sell herbs and plants catering to those with green thumbs. And be advised that cash is king here—few stands have wireless credit card machines. Whatever you’re seeking, the market is a full sensory experience. Freshly baked bread spikes the air and espresso machines work full-throttle to caffeinate the morning masses. In addition to the hands-on shopping experience, there’s plenty to consider for a breakfast (or lunch) of champions. Sizzling tacos from Junior’s, thirst-quenching lemonade and ice cream from Spotted Dog Creamery, or even a full Sudanese meal—anything you need to lull you out of weekday drowsiness or to cure the hangover .

No comments: